Gapzrom Neft is involved in four projects in Iraq, three of which are located in Kurdistan.
Gazprom Neft holds an 80% interest in the Halabja and Shakal blocks (the remaining 20% is held by the Kurdistan Regional Government). In August 2014 the drilling of two exploration wells began at the Shakal block, which are currently undergoing testing.
Gazprom Neft holds a 40% interest in the Garmian block and will become the operator of the project in 2015. Detailed appraisals of the field and preparation for its full-scale development are ongoing at the block. The Kurdistan Regional Government is currently considering a preliminary plan for the block’s development.
Gazprom Neft’s fourth project in Iraq is the development of the Badra oilfield located in the Wasit Province, Eastern Iraq. Preliminary estimates indicate total oil reserves at the Badra field at three billion barrels. Gazprom Neft operates the project and holds a 30% interest. Commercial production of oil at the Badra field began in August 2014.