Gazprom Neft’s anti-COVID-19 programme

Read more

Gazprom Neft’s Shakal block in Iraq sets seismic survey world record

A new world seismic surveying record has been set on the Gazprom Neft operated Shakal block in Iraq. During the seismic study, data was transmitted from more than 6,200 sensors using RT System 2 wireless recording. According to Wireless Seismic, Inc., which manufactured the equipment, this is the greatest number of sensors ever used in simultaneous wireless real-time data transmission. Results of the preliminary data processing show that the recorded seismograms are of the similar quality compared to data received using standard cable telemetry systems.

In 2013 Asian OilField & Energy Services was engaged to carry out exploration work on the Shakal block and the firm was contracted to perform a seismic study using RT System 2, a wireless seismic system providing real-time data transmission. This innovative technology improves the quality of the geological data gathered, reduces operating hours and enhances efficiency. Significantly, the wireless system makes it considerably easier to conduct this kind of study on the mountainous terrain typical of the region, as sensors can be installed in inaccessible locations unsuitable for cabling due to uneven ground and temperatures of up to 50°С. With real-time operation, any recording interference, for example from construction work in the vicinity, can be immediately identified and taken into account.

3D seismic work covering 277 km2 on the Shakal block is scheduled to be completed by the end of this year, with the geological survey continuing into next year. The company is planning to complete the 3D and 2D seismic studies and begin drilling two exploratory wells in 2014. The results of this research will help to refine the geological model of the block and determine locations for further exploratory drilling.

Notes for editors
Gazprom Neft became operator of the Shakal block in Kurdistan, Iraq, in summer 2012. The company holds 80% of the project, while the regional government owns the remaining 20%. The block covers an area of 632 km2 and is located in the immediate vicinity of the Garmian block, where Gazprom Neft also has a stake in the geological survey project.